VASER liposuction is a state-of-the-art fat removal technique that utilizes ultrasound-assisted technology to help patients achieve their desired body contours. This advanced type of liposuction, also known as Vibration Amplification of Sound Energy at Resonance, has revolutionized the field of cosmetic surgery by offering precise and targeted fat removal with minimal invasiveness.
At Alexander Cosmetic Surgery, Dr. John Alexander and Dr. Jordan Kaplan, renowned San Diego plastic surgeons, specialize in VASER liposuction and offer this innovative body contouring treatment to their patients. Our surgeons understand the importance of individualized care and tailor each procedure to meet their patients’ unique needs and goals.
Before and After Photos
If you are looking for a minimally invasive surgery option that can help you achieve a more sculpted physique and enhance your self-confidence, VASER liposuction may be the ideal solution for you. Contact our office at (858) 455-7557 to schedule a consultation at Alexander Cosmetic Surgery and learn more about how VASER liposuction can transform your body.
- 1 Before and After Photos
- 2 About Liposuction
- 3 What Makes VASER Different?
- 4 Candidates for Liposuction
- 5 Personal Consultation
- 6 Preparation
- 7 VASER Liposuction Procedure
- 8 Recovery & Results
- 9 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 10 Cost of VASER Liposuction in San Diego
- 11 FAQ
- 12 References
Liposuction is one of the most popular body contouring procedures in the world. It involves the use of a thin metal tube called a cannula which dislodges and removes adipose tissue (fat) from various areas of the body. It is most commonly used in the following areas.
What is the Tumescent Technique?
The tumescent technique, used in all liposuction procedures, involves using a special wetting solution (tumescent solution) to make fat removal easier. The solution is composed of a diluted mixture of lidocaine (a numbing agent) and epinephrine (which causes vasoconstriction, decreasing bleeding). (1) This solution also makes the procedure comfortable and minimizes bleeding, making the procedure safe and effective.
What Makes VASER Different?
VASER is a form of Ultrasound-Assisted Liposuction (UAL). Ultrasound is a form of high-frequency sound with wavelengths beyond the range of human hearing. These sound waves produce vibrations that can be harnessed for both diagnostic imaging and treatments, including VASER liposuction. During a VASER procedure, ultrasonic energy is delivered to the treatment area, effectively disrupting and liquefying unwanted fat cells while preserving other tissues. This allows for smoother and more accurate sculpting of the body, resulting in improved body shape and a more aesthetically pleasing appearance.
One of the key advantages of VASER liposuction is its ability to selectively target specific areas of the body, such as the abdomen, thighs, hips, arms, or chin. This is known as enhanced tissue specificity. (2) This customized approach ensures that only the desired fat deposits are removed, leaving surrounding tissues and structures untouched. VASER liposuction promotes skin tightening, leading to a smoother and more toned overall result. Additionally, patient satisfaction rates are equivalent to or higher than those treated with standard liposuction. (3)
Lastly, VASER technology delivers ultrasound energy to the surrounding skin and soft tissue which improves skin contraction and recoil after the liposuction surgery. This ultimately results in more contoured and elegant liposuction results.
Candidates for Liposuction
The best candidates for liposuction: (1)
- Have good skin elasticity
- Are within 30% of their ideal body mass index (BMI)
- Have localized areas of excess fat
- Are in good overall health
- Are not looking for a weight-loss procedure
- Are committed to maintaining a healthy lifestyle
- Have realistic expectations and a positive attitude
Compared to traditional liposuction, VASER liposuction results in less trauma to the surrounding tissues, minimal scarring, and a quicker recovery period. If you are seeking a less invasive procedure, VASER liposuction may be a suitable option for you.
During your consultation at Alexander Cosmetic Surgery, we will have an in-depth discussion about your goals, medical history, and cosmetic concerns. This information is crucial in creating a personalized treatment plan that addresses your specific desires. We will then carefully examine the areas of your body where you wish to remove excess fat and contour specific regions. If you have more significant sagging and muscle separation in the abdomen, your surgeon may recommend a tummy tuck as an alternative.
There are several preparatory measures patients must take to be ready for VASER liposuction. These include the following.
- Preoperative lab tests: Depending on your health status, your surgeon may request specific laboratory tests to ensure your safety during the liposuction procedure. These tests will provide valuable information about your blood count, coagulation factors, and overall wellness.
- Medication review: It is crucial to disclose all current medications, including over-the-counter drugs and supplements, to Dr. Alexander. Some medications may interfere with the surgery or affect your recovery, so adjustments may be necessary.
- Smoking cessation: If you are a smoker, you must quit smoking before undergoing liposuction. Smoking can impair healing and increase the risk of complications. Your surgeon can provide guidance and support in your efforts to quit smoking.
- Post-operative care planning: Understanding and following the post-operative care instructions provided is crucial for a smooth recovery and optimal results. This may include arranging a ride to and from our facility, wearing compression garments, taking prescribed medications, and attending follow-up appointments.
By following these steps, you can feel confident and well-prepared for your liposuction procedure. Contact our office at (858) 455-7557 to schedule your consultation and begin your journey towards achieving your desired body contour.
VASER Liposuction Procedure
During a VASER liposuction procedure, the first step involves injecting tumescent fluid into the targeted area. This fluid helps to numb the area, minimize bleeding, and facilitate the removal of fat cells. Once the tumescent fluid has taken effect, small incisions are made in inconspicuous locations near the treatment area.
Next, the surgeon inserts a VASER probe through these small incisions. As the probe emits ultrasonic energy the fat cells vibrate and break apart. This process, known as emulsification, allows for easier and more precise removal.
After the fat cells have been broken down, a suction cannula gently removes liquefied fat. Our team pays meticulous attention to detail, ensuring that the surrounding tissues and structures remain unharmed. The result is a smoother and more sculpted appearance in the treated area.
Recovery & Results
Following a VASER liposuction procedure, patients may experience some swelling, bruising, and discomfort, which are normal and temporary side effects. Patients need to avoid strenuous activities for several weeks post-surgery to allow for proper healing. However, patients can typically resume work and light activities within a week or two, depending on individual circumstances.
One of the advantages of VASER liposuction is its ability to stimulate collagen production, which aids in skin retraction and tightening. This leads to improved contouring of the treated areas and enhances the final results, providing patients with a more toned and sculpted appearance.
With proper post-operative care and maintenance, the results of VASER liposuction can be long-lasting. Patients should maintain a healthy lifestyle, including regular exercise and a balanced diet, to optimize and sustain their results over time.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
A tummy tuck, also known as abdominoplasty, is a surgical procedure designed to address loose skin and muscle laxity to restore a more youthful and sculpted abdominal contour. This comprehensive procedure involves the removal of excess abdominal skin and fat, as well as the tightening of underlying muscles to create a firmer and flatter midsection.
A mommy makeover typically includes an individualized combination of procedures such as breast augmentation or lift to restore volume and shape to the breasts, a tummy tuck to remove excess skin and tighten the abdominal muscles, liposuction to eliminate stubborn fat deposits, and body contouring to sculpt and reshape various areas of the body. Each procedure is carefully customized to meet the unique needs and desires of the patient, resulting in a comprehensive body transformation.
Cost of VASER Liposuction in San Diego
The cost of your VASER liposuction procedure will depend on several factors, including the type of anesthesia administered and the size of the treatment area. For more detailed information specific to your individual needs and cosmetic concerns, call (858) 455-7557 or fill out a short form on our website to get started.
What are the risks and complications associated with liposuction?
As with any surgical procedure, liposuction carries certain risks. These may include infection, bleeding, scarring, uneven contouring, or changes in skin sensation. However, by choosing an experienced plastic surgeon, patients can minimize the risk of complications.
Are there alternatives to liposuction?
While liposuction remains one of the most effective methods for removing stubborn fat deposits, there are alternative procedures that may be more suitable depending on your specific needs. Non-surgical options such as CoolSculpting may provide modest fat reduction without the need for surgery.
Is it possible to combine liposuction with a breast lift in a mommy makeover?
Absolutely! Liposuction can be combined with various procedures, including a breast lift. Liposuction is an effective way to remove stubborn pockets of fat from areas such as the abdomen, hips, thighs, or arms. When combined with a breast lift, it can help contour the body and enhance overall results by achieving a more balanced and harmonious appearance.
- Bartow MJ, Raggio BS. Liposuction. PubMed. Published 2022. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK563135/
- Ruff PG, Garcia O, Nykiel M, Galanis CJ. Consensus-based Recommendations for Vibration Amplification of Sound Energy at Resonance Ultrasound-Assisted Liposuction. Plastic and reconstructive surgery Global open. 2023;11(7):e5110-e5110. doi:https://doi.org/10.1097/gox.0000000000005110
- Tran BNN, Didzbalis CJ, Chen T, Shulzhenko NO, Asaadi M. Safety and Efficacy of Third-Generation Ultrasound-Assisted Liposuction: A Series of 261 Cases. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Published online July 27, 2022. doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s00266-022-02992-7