A midface lift, also known as a cheek lift or malar lift, is a sophisticated surgical procedure that focuses on rejuvenating the middle portion of the face.
This innovative technique targets the sagging cheeks, nasolabial folds, and other signs of aging in the midface region. As we age, the natural fat pads in our cheeks descend, resulting in a hollowed appearance and loss of youthful volume. Additionally, the skin around the cheeks may begin to sag, causing the formation of deep lines and wrinkles. A midface lift effectively addresses these concerns, restoring a more youthful and vibrant facial contour.
At Alexander Cosmetic Surgery, Dr. John T. Alexander II and Dr. Jordan Kaplan are highly skilled and experienced plastic surgeons who specialize in performing midface lifts. With their meticulous approach and attention to detail, your surgeon can help you achieve natural-looking results that enhance your facial features and restore a more youthful appearance.
If you are bothered by sagging cheeks, under-eye bags, or facial volume loss, a midface lift may be the solution you have been seeking. Contact Alexander Cosmetic Surgery today at (858) 455-7557 to schedule your consultation with us and achieve midface rejuvenation that enhances your natural beauty.
About the Midface Lift
The midface, also known as the cheek area, is a prominent and vital part of our facial structure. It plays a crucial role in maintaining facial symmetry and harmony. However, as we age, the midface is one of the areas most affected by the natural aging process.
Facial sagging, loss of volume, and changes in skin elasticity can cause the cheeks to droop, resulting in a tired or aged appearance. These changes occur due to a combination of factors, including the gradual weakening of facial muscles, the loss of subcutaneous fat, and a decrease in collagen and elastin production in the skin. (1)
Fortunately, a midface lift is a cosmetic procedure that can address these concerns and restore a more youthful and rejuvenated appearance to the face.
Why Do People Get Midface Lifts?
While a traditional facelift focuses on the midface as well as reduction of jowling, and sagging in the neck and jawline, patients who complain of sagging in the cheeks and deepening of nasolabial folds without complaints of their neck often opt for a mid facelift over a traditional facelift. This sagging occurs due to descent of the malar (cheek) fat pads, and fat pad atrophy (wasting). (2)
What is a Deep Plane Midface Lift?
The deep plane midface lift is a facial rejuvenation procedure that targets the underlying structures of the face to achieve natural-looking results. Unlike traditional facelift techniques that primarily address sagging skin, this procedure involves repositioning and lifting the deeper layers of tissue, including fat and muscle, to restore volume and contour to the midface.
During the deep plane midface lift, incisions are carefully made within the hairline and discreetly hidden around the ears to minimize visible scarring. Through these incisions, the underlying tissues are accessed, and the deep plane layer is gently lifted and repositioned into a more youthful position. Excess fat may be removed or repositioned to enhance facial symmetry and harmony
Benefits of a Midface Lift
- Enhanced facial contours – By restoring the natural curves and contours of the face, a midface lift creates a more youthful and lifted appearance. This comprehensive rejuvenation helps individuals achieve a harmonious balance between their facial features.
- Reduction of sagging skin – The midface lift targets sagging skin in the midface region, effectively tightening it and reducing the appearance of wrinkles and folds. This leads to a smoother and more refreshed facial aesthetic.
- Improved cheek definition – Through the lifting and repositioning of tissues in the midface area, this procedure enhances the definition and prominence of the cheeks. It restores youthful fullness and creates a more sculpted facial structure.
- Rejuvenated facial appearance – The overall effect of a midface lift is a rejuvenated and refreshed facial appearance. By addressing multiple signs of aging, including sagging skin and volume loss, individuals can achieve a more youthful and vibrant look.
- Softening of nasolabial folds – Nasolabial folds, commonly known as smile lines, can be softened and minimized through a midface lift. This procedure specifically targets these lines, resulting in a smoother and more youthful-looking face.
- Restored volume to the midface – As we age, the midface area tends to lose volume, leading to a sunken or hollowed appearance. A midface lift effectively restores volume and fullness to this area, creating a more youthful and balanced facial contour.
- Alleviation of under-eye bags – Midface lifts can address under-eye bags by repositioning the tissues and muscles in the midface area. This repositioning leads to a more rested and alert appearance, minimizing the signs of fatigue.
- Tightened facial muscles – During a midface lift, the underlying facial muscles are tightened, resulting in improved facial symmetry and overall facial structure. This comprehensive approach ensures lasting results and a harmonious facial contour.
- Long-lasting results – When performed by a skilled surgeon like Dr. Alexander, a midface lift provides long-lasting results. Patients can enjoy the benefits of a more youthful appearance for years to come, enhancing their self-confidence and quality of life.
Candidates for a Midface Lift
Candidates for a midface lift are individuals who are looking to improve the appearance of the middle region of their face. This procedure is suitable for those who are bothered by sagging skin, wrinkles, loss of volume, and muscle banding in the area between the lower eyelids and corners of the mouth, including the cheeks and nasolabial folds.
The ideal candidate for a midface lift is:
- In good overall health
- Does not smoke
- Has realistic expectations for the outcome of the procedure
Age is not necessarily a limiting factor for a midface lift, as long as the individual is healthy enough to undergo surgery. A consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon can help determine if a midface lift is the right option for you.
Only through a personal consultation can your surgeon assess your individual needs and determine if you are a suitable candidate for a midface lift. Our surgeons will explain the potential risks and benefits associated with the surgery and provide a detailed explanation of the surgical technique. This consultation is vital to ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the procedure and to address any questions or concerns you may have.
If you are interested in learning more about the midface lift or other facial rejuvenation procedures, we invite you to explore our website or schedule a personal consultation at Alexander Cosmetic Surgery in San Diego by calling (858) 455-7557. We are dedicated to helping you achieve your aesthetic goals and enhancing your natural beauty.
We will provide personalized instructions for you to prepare for your midface lift. These may include the following.
- Discontinuing blood thinners, supplements, and other medications
- Undergoing blood test
- Nicotine cessation
- Obtaining prescribed medications in advance
- Arranging transportation and support
- Allocating adequate time for rest
Midface Lift Procedure
Your anesthesia will be tailored to your specific needs, ensuring your comfort throughout the surgery. To begin the surgery, your surgeon will make precise incisions in inconspicuous locations, such as within the hairline or along natural creases. These incisions allow for access to the underlying tissues of the midface. During tissue elevation, your surgeon will skillfully lift and reposition the deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue known as the SMAS (Superficial Musculoaponeurotic System). This step provides long-lasting and natural-looking results.
Alongside tissue elevation, the fat pads in the midface region may be repositioned to restore youthful volume and contour. Excess fat may also be removed if necessary. After addressing the underlying structures, any excess skin is carefully trimmed away, and the incisions are meticulously closed. Dr. Alexander and Dr. Kaplan take great care to ensure minimal scarring and subtle but noticeable final results.
Following the surgery, postoperative care instructions will be provided to promote proper healing and minimize discomfort. It is crucial to attend follow-up appointments as scheduled to monitor your progress and address any concerns that may arise.
Recovery & Results
Following the procedure, you will be closely monitored in our recovery room to ensure a smooth transition from surgery to the initial stages of recovery. Our experienced staff will provide necessary care and support during this crucial time. Swelling and bruising are common after a midface lift. To assist in the reduction of these temporary side effects, we recommend keeping your head elevated.
Pain management is an essential part of the recovery process. Your surgeon will prescribe appropriate medications to help alleviate any discomfort you may experience. As your recovery progresses, we will provide specific guidelines on when it is safe to resume normal activities. It is crucial to follow these instructions to ensure proper healing and long-term success.
Over time, as you fully heal from your midface lift, you will notice a rejuvenated appearance and restored facial harmony.
How Much is a Midface Lift in San Diego?
The cost of a midface lift can vary depending on several factors. It is essential to have a personalized consultation with a qualified medical professional, such as Dr. Alexander or Dr. Kaplan. During this initial consultation, your unique treatment plan will be assessed, taking into consideration your specific goals and concerns.
Investing in your facial appearance is an investment in your happiness and confidence. Take the first step towards rejuvenation by contacting us at (858) 455-7557 or visiting our practice in San Diego. Our dedicated team is here to guide you through every stage of your midface lift journey.
- Ganceviciene R, Liakou AI, Theodoridis A, Makrantonaki E, Zouboulis CC. Skin anti-aging strategies. Dermato-Endocrinology. 2012;4(3):308-319. doi:https://doi.org/10.4161/derm.22804
- Pérez P, Hohman MH. Mid-Face Facelift. PubMed. Published 2023. Accessed September 7, 2023. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK563237/